It’s an age where everyone wants to get someone else to do their work for them.
You have a guy from everything. Why would you make your own lip balm when you can buy it then?
For a few very simple reasons. You know exactly what is in the balm. No more compromise. The balm will have only what you want and nothing else. Most importantly, it is fun! It is an ideal way to de-stress after a long day. Want to make it even better? Call a friend over and do it together.
How to Make a Lip Balm at Home
- 3 Teaspoons of beeswax
- 4 Teaspoons of Cocoa Butter
- 4 Teaspoon of Pure Sweet Almond Oil
- Half Teaspoon of Pure Olive Oil
- Half a teaspoon of Pure Honey
- 2 Teaspoons of Lanolin
- 4 drops of any essential oil like chamomile or jasmine or eucalyptus oil or vanilla essence or even strawberry essence or orange essence for the aroma.
- Some small jars or your old lip balm tubes for storing.
- A Dropper
- Cocoa butter is solid, so you may need to scrape it off and measure about 4 teaspoons of scrapes of it. If you are not able to find cocoa butter so you can add 3 teaspoons of coconut oil in its place.
- Take a saucepan half filled with water and place it on the stovetop. In another bowl (a solid glass bowl or a steel bowl) put the beeswax, the lanolin and the cocoa butter, and the oils. Place the bowl into the water that is getting heated. Make sure the bowl does not touch the bottom of the container. Lessen the flame to medium so that the water does not boil over into the container.
- Soon, the beeswax will start to melt. During this time, keep stirring with a spoon and when everything is melted, pour in the honey and mix well while still on top of the hot water. Then turn the flame off and keep aside.
- Quickly pour in the essential oil or your chosen essence (you may also add finest of glitters and some edible color just one pinch to the mixture to get a colorful and glittery lip balm) and pour this molten mixture into the tubes or jars, preferably with a dropper
- When it cools down, you will have the luxury of using cosmetics made by yourself. There is no better formulation than that.
With repeated experiments using different aromas and flavors, you can make a whole array of your personalized lip balms and even gift them to your girls! Here are a few suggestions to make interesting and pretty lip balms:
- Drop in a few petals of your favorite flowers like rose, jasmine etc. Or you can add your choice of fresh herbs like mint, rosemary.
- You can unusual flavoring agents like peppermint, sweet almond oil, strawberry essence, vanilla essence, etc.
- You can also use favorite kitchen flavors like chocolate chips, coffee powder, cinnamon, lemon, cardamom etc.
You may add 4 drops of beetroot juice to this mixture to get a naturally dark purple colored lip balm or juice extracted out of mixture of colorful flowers to get that color of balm.
If you have any other interesting ideas and tips on making DIY lip balms, drop us a line and let us know!