How many times have you done your makeup only to realized the outcome to be an absolute fail? Do you ever look at beauty bloggers and wish “I wish my makeup turned out like that?” Yeah, me too. All the time. I’ve done some research and figured out how to perfect the art of applying makeup. It’s the small things that make a difference, honestly. Read on, and you’ll be surprised just how easy it can be through the tutorials.
How to Prepare Skin For Makeup?
Before you actually start with the application of makeup, you need to prep it first. Let’s look at each step involved.
Step 1: Cleanse Your Face
The first step to any skincare routine should be cleansing the face. Choose a face wash that’s suitable for your skin.
Step 2: Use Toner
People might say this is optional. It’s not! If you really want to get into skincare and invest time on it, a toner is a must! This balances the PH levels of your skin and tightens the pores.
Step 3: Apply Moisturizer
Moisturizing is an integral part of skincare. A moisturizer is one of the last products to go on your face during a skincare routine. No matter what your skin type is, don’t skip using a moisturizer. A sunscreen and a primer would not act as a replacement for a moisturizer.
Emergency Skin Preparation
If you don’t have much time to spare, a quick fix would be to use alcohol-free, and perfume-free face wipes to clean your face. This should only be used in emergencies. It cannot be an alternative for your regular CTM routine.
Alright, now that you’ve got the lowdown on cleansing, toning and moisturizing, it’s time to move on to the actual makeup applying process. Read on to find out the secret to having perfect makeup all the time!
How To Do Makeup Perfectly? – Tutorial
These steps are foolproof, and if you are willing to invest in just a little energy, you’ll be a makeup pro in no time!
Step 1: Know Your Skin Type
Based on your skin type, you need to figure out if you should be using water-based or oil-based makeup products. Mixing water-based skin care with oil-based makeup will probably not yield the best results. When you think about it, it’s just basic science; oil and water never mix. The oil always floats above the water. This means that your oil-based makeup might not sit well on your skin. So figure out your skin type first.
Once you have all the products you need, you may start with the actual makeup application
Step 2: Get Your Face Ready
How to get the perfect makeup look? Makeup is an art, so it requires a clean base.
- The first and foremost thing is to keep your skin healthy.
- Go for facials and keep your skin hydrated
- Alternatively, you can do a DIY facial yourself at home. Here is a detailed post on how to get glowing skin.
- Try to use a deep cleansing face mask to cleanse the face of any dirt or oil from within.
- If you have dull and dry skin, exfoliate to remove dead skin layers or dry patches.
- Remember not to over exfoliate.
- Apply a toner on a damp cotton pad and sweep it over the face gently. Using a toner will make sure that the pH balance is restored and it will pick up any remaining dirt as well.
- Once done, apply a moisturizer irrespective of any skin type. Use a light moisturizer if you have an oily skin and use a heavy one if your skin lacks moisture.
The next step would be to apply a primer.
Step 3: Applying Primer
- Wait for the moisturizer to set in.
- Now apply primer. A primer will ensure you have a smooth surface to work on.
- It will make it easier to apply the foundation.
- It will also help the makeup to last longer. Here is a detailed tutorial on applying primer.
Once you’ve prepped and primed your face, we now move onto the concealing.
Step 4: Applying Concealer
- As the name suggests, a concealers job is to conceal any spots or imperfections.
- Apply the concealer under your eyes in an inverted triangle and dab it into the skin with either a brush, beauty sponge or your finger. The ring finger has the lightest touch, so it’s best to opt for it when blending in delicate areas like the under eye area.
- Apply the concealer in the rest of the areas where you think you require it.
- It is vital that you only dab and not blend the concealer since you don’t want to be moving the product around too much.
Here is a detailed post on how to choose the right concealer.
The next one is probably one of the most important steps in applying makeup.
Step 5: Applying Foundation
Choosing the right foundation can be difficult.
- Choose the right foundation according to your skin type. Usually, powder and water-based liquid foundations are good for oily skin while dry skin is best off with cream foundation or oil based liquid foundation.
- Apply a small quantity of the foundation onto the face. Distribute it evenly.
- Use a foundation brush, or blending sponge to blend it in.
- Blend well till you get a smooth finish.
Read How To Apply Foundation on Face Perfectly to get more information.
Step 6: Touchups
- If needed, check whether you need to conceal anything else
- Using it again will ensure that any remaining spots are concealed and redness is minimized.
Since we’ve finished our base makeup, it’s time to move on to adding a pop of color to the cheeks!
Step 7: Applying Blush
For a more natural looking blush use the powder blush right after applying foundation.
- Simply smile to determine where the blush should go and dust it onto the apples of your cheeks with a light hand.
- Use gentle strokes.
- After blending, check on both sides of the cheek to see whether the result is as desired.
- If you want more intensity, use more blush and blend in as instructed above.
- Avoid too much of it! You want to look like you have a healthy glow and not a clown!
Step 8: Applying Eyeshadow
We now arrive at what I believe to be one of the most intimidating parts about the makeup—eye shadow. It takes a lot of practice for it to look perfect.
- Use an eye primer to prime the eyelids.
- If you have an oily lid, then this is a compulsory step for you. The primer will keep the oil away while making the eye makeup last longer.
- If you want a shimmery eye look then use a shimmery primer to prime the eyes.
- A cool toned primer will look great on the fair skin while a warmer one will complement a medium or a slightly darker skin tone.
- Apply the primer all over the eyelid.
Now that we’re done applying the eye primer, it’s time for the eyeshadow
- Apply a golden eye shadow on the lids and blend in well.
- Smoothen out any harsh lines and do not apply any cream shade above it.
- If you want a simple everyday look, use non-shimmery and natural colors like browns, nudes, pastels or taupe. These look great for daily wear.
- For those occasions where you need to add more colors, wine shades, purple, reds, green and blues do a great job.
- Invest in some good eyeshadows.
- If you are using cream shadows either top it with a translucent powder or apply a same shaded powder eye shadow to seal it in place.
Here is a detailed post on how to apply eyeshadow.
After applying the eyeshadow, it’s time to move onto the eyeliner.
Step 9: Applying Eyeliner
Use brown or black eye pencil to line your eyes.
- Use brown eyeliner for a subtle look and black for a more defined eye look.
- Sometimes, when I feel like skipping the eyeshadow, I complete my makeup look with only eyeliner.
- Apply liquid or gel liner on the upper lash line and wing it out if you want.
- Use kohl on the lower lash line.
Here is a post on how to apply eyeliner perfectly and for applying kajal.
Now, we move onto the last step in eye makeup. That’s right, it’s time to curl those lashes!
Step 10: Applying Mascara
- Use your eye lash curler to gently curl your lashes.
- Add false lashes for a dramatic effect.
- Do keep in mind to choose the lash glue carefully. Make sure to use only the glue that’s meant for the eyelashes.
- Now, apply another layer of mascara to make it look thicker and full.
- If you use false lashes, first apply them and then curl them along with the natural lashes.
- Once done, apply mascara.
Here is a detailed post on how to apply mascara.
Step 11: Doing Your Brows
- Now fill in your brows with a brow pencil or use a bit of powder eye shadow to fill the gaps of the eyebrow, if any.
- Use a brow brush to tame the brows or use a clear mascara to keep them tamed throughout the day.
[ Read : Makeup Tips For Brown Eyes ]
Step 12: Applying Lipstick
- How to do perfect lip makeup? Before you use any color, check if your lips are dry or chapped.
- If you have chapped lips take a damp washcloth and gently rub over the lips to remove the dead skin. Alternatively, you can use a damp toothbrush to do the same.
- Next, apply a lip balm and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Now gently remove excess balm using a blotting paper or a napkin
- Once that is taken care of, apply the lipstick.
- If you want the lip color to stay all day, use a matching or nude lip liner underneath.
- Apply the lip pencil and fill in the lips.
- Now apply the lipstick either directly from the tube or use a lip brush.
- Once you have applied it, blot and reapply another layer. This ensures that the color stays for a longer time.
- Add a layer of gloss for added shine.
Now let’s discuss about fixing makeup blunders.
How To Fix Makeup Blunders?
One of the biggest mistakes that woman generally make while doing makeup is that they always try to look fairer and in such an attempt they choose either a too light shade which doesn’t blend well with the skin and makes you look pale like a vampire and your hands and other body parts doesn’t match, and the white-skinned western girls try to go for a tanned look and choose a much darker shade which only makes them look dirty not tanned. The proper way to choose the foundation color is to take a little amount of it on your finger tips and blend it on your jawline or neckline. If you can’t see it after it’s properly blended, then that’s the right color for you. Always blend well foundation, on your face and neck and exposed chest part so that the colors match, if your hands are dark, then on your hands also.
Now let’s come to fixing your foundation, if you have put too much on your face, take a moistened piece of tissue or a moistened makeup sponge and dab it on your face softly and take off the excess foundation, don’t do it with too much pressure.
When you have put excess foundation or concealer around your eyes, then also perform the basic foundation removing steps as mentioned above.
It’s supposed to line the natural lining of your lips and not to make them look bigger. Choose a neutral shade or a shade a little brighter than your lipstick color and line carefully the natural lining of your lips and then fill in with liner first and then lipstick or directly the lipstick with a brush.
What to do in case you have put on too much lip liner? Take few drops of makeup remover cream or lotion on a makeup sponge and carefully remove the line without disturbing the lipstick.
When you have put a color which doesn’t match your makeup or you wanna lighten or remove it , take a moistened tissue paper , fold it into half and kiss it again and again putting it between your upper and lower lips , you will see the lipstick lightens and lightens as you kiss the tissue. The tissue soaks your lipstick color. No need to moisten it.
When you have put too much lip gloss, then what you can do is you can dab on some talcum powder or your compact powder on a tissue paper and then perform the tissue kissing steps as mentioned above.
Overbrow Plucking and Coloring:
If you over plucked , then in smooth hands, apply dot by dot, i.e., in a dotted fashion, with an eye brow pencil to correct your brow look. Choose a color most natural to your hair color or a tone lighter than that.
Mascara should be applied to a maximum of two to three coats, any more and your lashes will look spiky and unnatural. To solve this problem, comb through your lashes with a clean eyelash comb, until the mascara clumps on your lashes are gone.
You have always till now perhaps applied blush after applying foundation, now it’s time for change, because the most perfect blush selection is something near to your natural lip color and to apply it with a big full blush brush (preferably buy it separately because these doesn’t come with the blush generally) and that too you should apply it before applying foundation to achieve that perfect look. Don’t apply too much , coz if you do then you will look like a clown.
If you have already applied too much, then just dab on with your compact powder or a bit more of your foundation to achieve correction.
Black Eye Makeup – The Look of Dark Circles
If you are someone who has the habit of rubbing their eyes, then you may end up smudging up your eye makeup which will give you a dark circle look. So lets say the rule to keeping good eye makeup is choosing an eye liner that’s very near to your hair color or a tone darker to that and keeping the lining as close to your water line and lash line as possible. When applying eye shadow keep in mind not to extend it up to the brows , keep it as much to the lids as possible. If you have over applied, take a Q-tipped brush dabbed in makeup remover and remove and reapply . If your lower or upper eye contour looks darker, apply foundation on it with a Q-tip brush very gently to fix the color.
Now, here are some makeup tutorials for different looks to inspire you!
Top 10 YouTube Makeup Videos:
You just can’t go wrong with these tutorials! Take your pick and get beautiful!
1. Vampire Makeup Look:
Try this vampire makeup look for fiction-inspired parties. This look has gained a lot of attention in recent times. This tutorial would teach you how to get the vampire look easily without too much effort.
2. Maleficent Makeup Tutorial:
Maleficent is one of the best fantasy movies from Disney. This tutorial on maleficent is simply stunning and fun to try on. It shows the perfect way to look like Angelina Jolie’s maleficent character.
3. Contouring And Highlighting Tutorial:
Unless you contour and highlight your face properly, your entire makeup look just won’t look complete. It helps to accentuate your facial features perfectly. This tutorial shows you the best way to contour and highlight your face. If you are looking for makeup tips video for a night party, this tutorial will surely show you the way!
4. Snow White Inspired Makeup Look:
Snow White is one of our favorite cartoon characters, isn’t she? You can try this makeup look for Halloween-inspired parties. This tutorial teaches you how to create the cartoon-like looks without any difficulty.
5. Perfect Picture Look Tutorial:
In today’s world, where Facebook is all pervasive, we always want to be photograph ready, especially when with our loved ones. This video teaches the makeup tricks, which will help you look your best, naturally in snaps.
6. Plump Up Your Lips:
Angelina Jolie is famous for her plump lips. Many girls dream of lips like her, but assume it to be an impossible task. But this tutorial proves those naysayers wrong! With this video, you can get the lips of your dreams, and that too without much difficulty.
7. Smokey Look:
Smokey looks have been in trend for quite a long time now. They make you look stunning and glamorous instantly. This tutorial teaches the correct way to create smokey eyes step by step.
8. Red Carpet Makeup Tutorial:
Red carpet reminds us of celebrities with stunning and bold makeup. This simple makeup video is based on classic and modern twist on Hollywood makeup for red carpet events such as Oscars.
9. Autumn Makeup Tutorial:
The ombre look is ‘in’ right now. Instead of having the lips or eyes subtle, Ombre lips keep both of them bold. This tutorial will teach you how to create autumn Ombre makeup look easily. This video is easy to follow and will definitely help you get this look just.
10. Dark Lips Makeup Tutorial:
Some of us prefer wearing dark lip colors over nudes. This video makeup tutorial teaches us the makeup tricks to get the perfect dark lips easily. This season, opt for dark vampire colors for your lips and bedazzle the world.
And you are ready to go! Hope these easy steps helped you on how to do a perfect makeup. Do let us know in the comments below. Till then, keep it stylish!